Paul Mattern does not accept clients and have less experienced associates or attorneys handle the matters like many firms. He takes every case personally. He handles every case knowing it will affect his clients for the rest of their lives. He has a proven record of successful experience at all stages of criminal matters. He is available to provide you with only the finest criminal representation.
Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
The NACDL home-page provides the finest access to the latest and most comprehensive
news articles and press releases on a daily basis to those seeking access to daily news
affecting those interested in the most current trends and news in the criminal justice system,
as well as resources to other information. Non-lawyers and visitors are allowed access.
National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI)
In the United States, we not only incarcerate more citizens than any developed nation in the world,
but 55 percent of male inmates in state prisons are mentally ill, and 73 percent of female inmates
suffer from mental illness. Unfortunately, our jail and prison systems are used to warehouse the
mentally ill without stopping to consider how much mental illness may explain how these citizens
ended up in the criminal justice system.
If you or a loved one suffers from mental illness, NAMI is an excellent resource for support and
advocacy. This is an excellent resource for anyone who is challenged by mental illness.
Contact Paul Mattern to schedule a free case consultation and case evaluation. Mr. Mattern offers a flexible scheduled to meet as well as various payment plans.
Criminal Defense Attorney
Twenty Years of Criminal Litigation Experience
Paul Mattern has proven results that speak for themselves. He has represented clients at trial in matters ranging from traffic citations to first degree murder in which the state sought the death penalty. His two decades of successful trial experience is joined by a long history of appellate victories where he obtained relief for his clients by finding, and litigating, mistakes made by prior defense attorneys, prosecutors, trial courts, as well as changes in the law that should have been applied in trials or sentencing proceedings.
Paul Mattern's proven appellate record includes clients who were freed from prison and never went back. Clients who were granted new trials, reduced sentences, or had numerous felony charges vacated due to his dedication and experience. Victories that changed his clients' lives forever. Proven results*. He uses this knowledge and experience to represent his clients at all stages of the proceedings. Paul Mattern is able to provide the finest criminal defense whether you think you may be arrested, have just been arrested, have an ongoing case, or even if you have already been convicted.
Payment Plans are available.
Paul Mattern has proven success as a trial and appellate attorney. Every post-conviction victory was the result of Paul Mattern reviewing a case and finding mistakes made by the prior defense lawyer, the prosecutor, the trial court, or finding changes in the law that helped his clients. His appellate victories below show his expertise not only in appeals, but his ability to handle your case right now no matter what position you are in. Mr. Mattern has twenty years of trial experience, and over ten years of appellate experience,
Whether you think you might be arrested, already have criminal charges, or have been convicted of an offense but are seeking relief, you need the assistance of a proven litigator. Paul Mattern will use his skill, experience and absolute dedication to you in order to protect you no matter what your situation is.
Paul Mattern has represented clients in state and federal courts who
were investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigations, Drug
Enforcement Agency, Department of Homeland Security, Immigration
and Customs Enforcement, United States Secret Service, Arizona
Department of Public Safety, Maricopa County Sheriff, Yavapai County
Sheriff, Coconino County Sheriff, Pinal County Sheriff, Greenlee County
Sheriff, Gila County Sheriff, Mohave County Sheriff, Yuma County Sheriff,
Imperial County, California Sheriff, La Paz County Sheriff, Greenlee
County Sheriff, Phoenix Police Department, Tempe Police Department,
Glendale Police Department, Chandler Police Department, Gilbert Police
Department, Buckeye Police Department, Mesa Police Department,
Peoria Police Department, Globe Police Department, Miami Police
Department, Payson Police Department, Flagstaff Police Department,
Kingman Police Department, Winslow Police Department,
Yuma Police Department, San Luis Police Department, Florence
Police Department and others.
Paul Mattern has the experience and proven results.
Although every case and situation is different, Paul Mattern has achieved the following results in post-conviction and appellate litigation. Every victory was the result of Paul Mattern reviewing a case and finding mistakes made by the prior defense lawyer, the prosecutor, the trial court, or finding changes in the law that helped his clients. His appellate victories below show his expertise not only in appeals,but his ability to handle your case no matter what position you are in right now:
● First Degree Murder - Transfer of Fourteen-Year-Old Juvenile to Adult Court on Murder Charges Reversed - Cause No. 2 CA-JV 1997-0039: This fourteen-year-old client was transferred to adult court to face prosecution which required a mandatory life prison sentence. Mr. Mattern found that child's prior attorney had a conflict of interest and was ineffective. The case was returned to the juvenile court.
Because of Paul Mattern this client avoided facing first degree murder
prosecution as an adult and a mandatory life sentence.
● Transportation and Possession of Marijuana for Sale - Trial conviction and Fifteen year and nine month Prison Sentence Reversed - Yuma County Cause No. S1400CR960013: This client was sentenced to 15.75 years in prison after the trial. The client's trial attorney and appellate attorney were ineffective. The trial court rejected a plea offer based in part, on the belief that she was not a citizen. Paul Mattern and his investigator found this client's birth records, and found other flaws in the proceedings. After negotiation, this case was resolved with a plea bargain that resulted in the client being released in eight months.
Because of Paul Mattern this client was released from
prison seven years and nine months early.
● Conspiracy to Commit First Degree Murder - Trial Conviction Reversed and Mandatory Life Sentence Prevented - Yuma County Cause No. S1400CR200200970: Client was convicted of Conspiracy to Commit First Degree Murder. She was facing a mandatory sentence of life in prison when Mr. Mattern took over her representation. Before sentencing, Mr. Mattern proved that her defense lawyer was ineffective, and negotiated a plea agreement to 9.5 years in prison.
Paul Mattern prevented this client from being sentenced to a mandatory life sentence,
and through negotiation, the client was released from prison less
than seven years after sentencing.
● Multiple Drive-By Shootings - Trial Conviction and Forty-Two Year Prison Sentence Reversed - Division Two Cause No. 2 CA-CR 2002-01076: Client was convicted of two separate drive-by shootings and sentenced to 21 years for each, meaning he would have spent forty-two years in prison. During trial, this client's lawyer asked the judge for separate trials for each offense. Paul Mattern handled the appeal and convinced the appellate court that the trial court made a mistake by not granting separate trials. The client then took a plea offer for ten years.
Because of Paul Mattern and the client's Public Defender, the client was
released from prison thirty-two years earlier than his original sentence.
● Possession of Marijuana for Sale - One and One-Half Year Prison Sentence Vacated and Client Immediately Released - Yuma County Cause No. S14000CR2001-00052: Client was convicted of one class 5 felony and one class 6 felony. He was unlawfully sentenced to prison as if he had been convicted of class 4 and 5 (more serious) felonies. His trial lawyer was ineffective for not seeing that the client was being sentenced for more serious crimes than he had ever been convicted of. The client was re-sentenced to one nine month sentence and one six month sentence.
This client was immediately released from prison
because of Paul Mattern.
● Promoting Prison Contraband and Possession of a Dangerous Drug - Trial Conviction and 15.75 Year Prison Sentence Reversed - Division One Cause No. 1 CA-CR 02-0785: Client was convicted at trial. Neither the prosecutor, the defense attorney nor the trial court recognized that this client was entitled to 12 jurors. He was only given 8 jurors. After his convicted was reversed he accepted a plea bargain to 4.5 years in prison.
Because of Paul Mattern this client was freed from
prison 11 years and 3 months early.
● Second Degree Murder - Trial Conviction and 10 Year Prison Sentence Reversed - Division One Cause No. 1 CA-CR 02-01064: Paul Mattern successfully argued that the client was denied a fair trial based on the court's failure to adequately advise the jury regarding self-defense. The case was dismissed after it was remanded to the trial court.
This client was freed from prison over 7 years early
because of Paul Mattern.
● Three Counts of Armed Robbery - 21 year prison sentence reduced to 10 years - Yuma County Cause No. 1998 C 00453: This client was convicted at trial and lost his appeal. Paul Mattern handled his Petition for Post-Conviction Relief and argued that the trial court provided flawed jury verdict forms, and that the client's conviction was wrongfully enhanced. He also argued that the client's trial lawyer and appeal lawyer were ineffective for failing to find this mistake.
Because of Paul Mattern, this client was freed
from prison 11 years early.
● Fraud Schemes and Artifices, Forgery, and Possession of a Dangerous Drug - Trial Conviction and 15.75 Prison Sentence Reversed - Division One Cause Number 1 CA-CR 03-0387, Yuma County Superior Court Cause Number S1400CR2002-01171: In his appeal, Paul Mattern argued that one of this client's prior convictions was too old to be used to enhance his sentence, and that his prior lawyer was ineffective for not objecting to this. The case was returned to the trial court and his sentence was reduced to 9.75 years. At that point, Paul Mattern alleged that the prosecutor engaged in misconduct because the he did not advise the client's first trial lawyer that one of the police officers on the case was being prosecuted for felonies himself at the time this matter was pending. Paul Mattern also alleged that the client's trial lawyer was ineffective for not finding these facts. At this point, the client was offered a plea bargain where he would be immediately released on probation, and he accepted the offer. This client's 15.75 year sentence was vacated and he was placed on probation.
This client was freed from prison and placed on probation 11 years
early because of Paul Mattern.
● Felony Child Abuse - Trial Conviction and 4.5 Year Prison Sentence Reversed - Division One Cause No. 1 CA-CR 03-0907: On appeal Paul Mattern successfully argued that the court admitted inadmissible hearsay in violation of Arizona Rules of Evidence and the Confrontation Clause of the United States Constitution. The conviction was reversed and the client was not re-prosecuted.
Because of Paul Mattern this client's felony conviction and 4.5 year prison
sentence were reversed. He was not re-prosecuted.
● Multiple Counts of Child Molest, Dangerous Crimes Against Children - 5 Year Prison Sentence Vacated and Client Allowed to Withdraw from the Plea Agreement - Yuma County Superior Court Cause No.S1400CR200800958: Client entered a plea agreement in which she was sentenced to 5 years in prison for committing a child molest, which was enhance by being a "dangerous crime against children." In Arizona, a dangerous crime against children requires the victim to be fourteen years of age or younger at the time of the offense. In this matter, the victim was sixteen years old at the time of the offense. The client was innocent of the "dangerous crimes against children" allegation. Paul Mattern alleged that the prior lawyer was ineffective for not calculating how old the victim was at the time of the offense before agreeing to the plea. He also alleged the prosecutor was incorrect in charging his client with this offense in the first place.
This client's conviction and 5 year sentence were reversed, and the client
was allowed to withdraw from her plea bargain.
● Alien Smuggling - 47 Month Sentence Vacated and New Sentencing Hearing Ordered- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit Cause No. 03-10656: Client was convicted at trial and sentenced to 47 Months in the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
In this published appeal at 418 F.3d 1093 (9th Cir. 2005), Paul Mattern won
his client a new sentencing hearing based on changes in the law.
● Trafficking in Stolen Property, Felony Theft, Forgery and Possession of Drug Paraphernalia - Prison Sentence of 15.75 Years Reduced to 9.25 Years: Division One Cause No. 1 CA-CR 06-0079: Client was convicted at trial, and the prosecutor alleged that the client had two prior felony convictions that could be used to enhance his sentence. In Arizona, only certain prior felony convictions can be used to do this, and after so long, they are too old to use. In this case, Paul Mattern identified one prior felony that was just too old to use. He alleged the that the prior attorney was ineffective, and the client was re-sentenced to 9.25 years. The prosecutor missed this mistake, the defense lawyer missed this mistake, and the trial court missed this mistake.
Because of Paul Mattern, this client's sentence was
reduced by 6.5 years in prison.
● Felony Theft (Juvenile Client) - Finding of Responsible and Sentence to the Juvenile Department of Corrections Reversed - Division One Cause No. 1 CA-JV 07-0184: Paul Mattern argued that the client was denied counsel by the trial court at all stages of the proceedings. As a result the client was appointed the attorney he was entitled to and his finding of delinquency (which is like a conviction if he were an adult) and sentence to juvenile prison was reversed.
This client's sentence to the Juvenile Department of Corrections and finding
of delinquency was reversed due to Paul Mattern.
● Indecent Exposure (Juvenile Court) - Order of the Juvenile Court Requiring Client to Participate in Programs Chosen by the Court Reversed, and Sentence to the Juvenile Department of Corrections was Reversed Pending a New Sentencing Hearing: Division One Cause No. 1 CA-JV 08-0091: The trial court judge ordered the client to be incarcerated in the Juvenile Department of Corrections and ordered the client to participate in a program chosen by the judge. In Arizona, a juvenile trial court judge lacks the authority to order juveniles sent to juvenile prison to participate in certain programs. Only the Juvenile Department of Corrections can make these decisions.
Because of Paul Mattern, the sentence to the Juvenile Department of
Corrections was reversed, and the client was not forced to
participate in a programchosen by the trial judge.
● Conducting a Chop Shop, Two Counts of Theft of a Means of Transportation - Client pleaded guilty to a felony and was sentenced to intense probation. His attorney did not take the necessary time to explain the plea bargain, and let the client make an informed decision on whether he should accept it. The client was sentenced and labelled a felon. Paul Mattern filed a petition which allowed the client withdraw from the plea bargain and set the case for trial. Once the case was set for trial, the prosecutor filed a Motion to Dismiss with Prejudice.
This client's felony conviction was vacated, his probation was terminated, and
he can never again be prosecuted because of Paul Mattern.
In his two decades of experience, Paul Mattern has
defended clients against charges of first degree murder,
second degree murder, manslaughter, endangerment,
threatening or intimidating, aggravated assault, drive by
shooting, prisoner assault with bodily fluids, custodial
interference, unlawful imprisonment, kidnapping, sex
trafficking, indecent exposure, public sexual indecency,
sexual abuse, sexual conduct with a minor, sexual
assault, child molestation, continuous sexual abuse,
trespassing, burglary, possession of burglary tools,
criminal damage, arson, theft, shoplifting, issuing bad
checks, theft of a means of transportation, armed
robbery, robbery, forgery, trafficking in stolen property,
participating or assisting a criminal syndicate, fraudulent
schemes and artifices, money laundering, escape,
resisting arrest, hindering prosecution, perjury, animal
fighting, misconduct involving weapons, prostitution,
possession for sale, sale, transporting and transporting
for sale dangerous drugs, narcotic drugs, marijuana and
precursor materials, domestic violence offenses, multi-national drug-trafficking and distribution conspiracies, multi-national alien smuggling offenses, multi-national sex-slave smuggling, illegal reentry after deportation, and federal tax fraud offenses, DUI, DUI drugs, and other traffic related offenses.
Paul Mattern’s trial experience includes over one-hundred and twenty criminal trials; approximately forty which were heard by jury and approximately thirty which were felonies. His felony trial experience includes first degree murder in which the state sought the death penalty, second degree murder, child molestation, drive by shooting, drug conspiracy, drug sale, drug possession, drug equipment and manufacturing related charges, drive-by shooting, child abuse, custodial interference, white collar and fraud related offenses, aggravated assault, vehicular manslaughter, burglary, theft, armed robbery, felony DUI, and others.
Paul Mattern also has well over a decade working with forensic experts and representing individuals who have addiction issues that may have played a part in their involvement in the justice system.
Regardless of your charge, Paul offers free consultations and initial case evaluations and second opinions. His greatest pride is his devotion to his clients to ensure their rights are protected, their satisfaction, and ensuring they obtain the best possible results.
CONTACT PAUL MATTERN
Paul Mattern's Office is Located in the Private and Quiet
Tlaquepaque Plaza in the Northwest Valley at:
4150 W. Peoria
Phoenix, AZ 85029
Paul Mattern has the experience, skill and dedication to work with you to obtain the absolute absolute best results in your situation, whether attempting to negotiate a dismissal, some type of deferred prosecution, plea bargaining, or representing you at trial.
The Beginning of a Criminal Prosecution.